Email: j.meng at lboro.ac.uk, mktmeng at gmail.com
I am a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Digital Technologies and the programme director of MSc Digital Marketing
at Institute of Digital Technologies ,
Loughborough University London.
Prior to Loughborough, I worked at Oxford Brookes University in the U.K.,
University of New South Wales and Macquarie University in Australia.
My current research concerns the consumer self, digital efficacy and digital wellbeing of electronic marketing,
including web content, social media, tech-based communication and AI recommendation.
(July-August/2019) Workshop on Digital Analytics and Simulation Research for MRes and doctoral students,
School of Information Resource Management , Renmin University of China
1. (10/2019) Good news! CSC-Loughborough PhD Scholarship Opportunity is open for the 2020 September entry. Deadline for LU applications: 31 January 2020.
2. (10/2019) Invited to review the new edition of Creating Value with Big Data Analytics, Routledge.
3. (08/2019) Acting as reviewer for International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research and International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education.
4. (06/2019) Subcontracted by “verification and testing of learning-enabled systems” cofounded by the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) and EPSRC.
5. (06/2019) Attend the Subject Committee Board, Lincoln Business School as Marketing Discipline External Examiner on June 26.
6. (05/2019) Invited to visit a giant automobile big data platform and research hub, Guangzhou WAYS and investigate China's smart car system in July
7. (05/2019) Invited to co-chair the Track of Service Marketing with Prof. Yonggui Wang ,
China Marketing International Conference ( CMIC/华人学者营销协会第七届中国市场营销国际学术年会), Guangzhou, China, July 22-25
8. (04/2019) To Host the research workshop at School of Information Resource Management, Renmin University, Beijing, China, July 25-30
Current Research Project
1. Computational Advertising on Smart New Media
2. Online Information Exchange and Social Impacts
3. Self-Construal and Projection on Brand Image
4. IoTs and Smart Connection with its Application in Marketing/Retailing
(Note: All the above areas are fermenting a few publications to come up soon.)
Manuscripts Under Working or Review
• How does preference on hearsay vs credence impact word-of-mouth evolution?
• The more we know, the more likely we will agree? some initial findings from simulation experiments
• Information Acquisition and Group Value Shaping of Online Tribalism: How Does User Activeness Matter?
• Stickiness of Online Communication: Experiments on Information Transmission Complexity
• Can Consumption Rituals Enhance Brand Attitude? An Experimental Study to Conceptualize Ritualization in Consumption
• Linking Environment Awareness, Ambidexterity and Marketing Outcomes: An Empirical Examination of Pharmacy Retailer Efficiency and Effectiveness
• Adopting Dissonance-solving Approach to Investigate Luxury Social Media Advertising: Roles of Gaps in Self, Projective Self, Influencer and Brand Image
Jie Meng, Roger Layton, Yimin Huang. (2016). Why do some consumers shop in this pharmacy for health-products?
A cross-check of vulnerable characteristics and store types, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services., Vol 30 (May),
Heng Lian, Taeryon Choi, Jie Meng, Seongil Jo. (2016). Posterior Convergence for Bayesian Functional Linear Regression.
Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Vol. 150 (Sep), pp. 27-41.
Heng Lian, Jie Meng, & Zengyan Fan. (2015). Simultaneous estimation of linear conditional quantiles with penalized
splines. Journal of Multivariate Analysis, 141 (na), pp.1-21.
Heng Lian, Jie Meng, Kaifeng Zhao, (2015). Spline estimator for simultaneous variable selection and constant coefficient
identification in high-dimensional generalized varying-coefficient models, Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Vol. 141,
Iss. C, pp. 81-103.
Jie Meng. (2015). Sustainability: A framework of typology based on efficiency and effectiveness, Journal of
Macromarketing. Vol. 35, Iss:1, pp. 84-98.
Peng Lai, Jie Meng, and Heng Lian. (2015). Polynomial spline approach for variable selection and estimation in varying
coefficient models for time series data, Statistics and Probability Letters. Vol. 96 (Jan), pp. 21-27.
Jie Meng, Roger Layton. (2011). Understand manager's marketing strategy choice in a collaborated competition industry:
linking context awareness with general strategy, European Business Review. Vol. 23 Iss: 5, pp.477-501.
Jie Meng, Yik Shun Ma, Examining the Effectiveness of Fashion Marketing on Social Media:
An Experiment on Influencer’s Reputation, Post Type, and Online eWOM Valence, Global Fashion Management
Conference, Paris, France, 2019.
Jie Meng, Jiaying Wang, Adopting Dissonance -Solving Approach to Investigate Luxury Social Media Advertising:
Role of Gaps in Self, Projective Self, Influencer and Brand Image, Global Fashion Management Conference, Paris, France, 2019.
Jie Meng, Emily Cooper, Yan Sun, Experiments on the effectiveness of marketing communications tactics to support
‘unappealing’ animals, 48th EMAC Annual Conference, Hamburg, Germany, 2019.
Jie Meng, Information-based and conformity-based delight of online tribalism: The effect on self-and social identity
moderated by user activeness, Global Marketing Conference, Tokyo, Japan, 2018.
Jie Meng, How will polarised word-of-mouth evolve mild? A simulated experiment of information preference, decay speed,
and halo effect, 47th EMAC Annual Conference, Glasgow, UK, 2018.
Jie Meng, Minghui Qian, Zhixuan Xu, Experiment on information stickiness in word-of-mouth transmission, the 5th
Business Systems Laboratory International Symposium, Naples, Italy, 2018.
Minghui Qian, Zhixuan Xu, and Jie Meng, Using active FSVM learning method to elicit individual tacit knowledge of brand
consideration, the 5th Business Systems Laboratory International Symposium, Naples, Italy, 2018.
Xiaowei Huang, Qingliang Chen, Jie Meng and Kaile Su, Reconfigurability in reactive multiagent systems, International
Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), New York, USA, 2017.
Jie Meng, Roger Layton, Multi-level patterns of efficiency and effectiveness of a marketing system, 41st Macromarketing
Conference, Dublin, Ireland, 2016.
Jie Meng, Hume Winzar, Assortment, location and price differentiation and impacts on macro patterns of efficiency and
effectiveness: an experiment through agent-based models, New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC), Sydney, Australia, 2015.
Jie Meng, Retail competition in price and assortment and evolution: a simulated experiment, Annual Complexity in Business Conference,
Washington, DC, US, 2015.
Jie Meng, Efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainable marketing: a literature review, New Zealand Marketing Academy
Conference (ANZMAC), Brisbane, 2014.
Jie Meng, Vulnerable consumers and the retail pharmacy selection process,
New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC), Perth, Australia, 2011.
Jie Meng, Is pharmacy’s role approaching convergent or diversified: an overall examination of marketing
efficiency and effectiveness by assortments analysis in urban China, Academy of Marketing Conference (AMC), Coventry, UK, 2010.
Jie Meng, Unmasking urban Chinese consumers’ assortment and pharmacy choices, China and India Consumer Insight (CICI),
Tsinghua University & Yale School of Management, Beijing, China, 2010.
Roger Layton, Zhirong Duan, Jie Meng, The contemporary research in marketing systems, International Symposium of
Marketing Sciences (ISMM), Tianjin, China, 2009.
Jie Meng, An empirical examination for the collaboration and competition in pharmacy marketing system:
linking survey data with agent-based modelling, Collaborative Agents-Research and Development (CARE), Australasian
Joint Conference of Artificial Intelligence (AI’09), Melbourne, 2009.
Zhirong Duan, Jie Meng, Should variety-seeking be encouraged to promote less popular destinations? Australian & New
Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC), 2009, Melbourne, Australia.
Jie Meng, The embedded structure and emergent patterns of marketing system: an interpretation of empirical-based
agent-based modelling, Australian & New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC), 2008, Sydney, Australia.
Jie Meng, An overview of marketing system’s performance: efficiency and effectiveness, Australian & New Zealand
Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC), 2008, Sydney, Australia.
Recent Funding and Grants
“Automated Verification and Synthesis of Smart Factories”
Funding Body: National Natural Science Foundation of China Research (NSFC)
Grant No. 61772232/F020101
Investigators: Xiaowei Huang, Jie Meng, Ron van der Meyden
PhD Studentships in Digital Technologies at Loughborough University London
The Institute for Digital Technologies at Loughborough University London aims to address major technological
challenges, with a focus on machine learning, data analytics, Internet of Things, cyber security, intelligent mobility,
immersive and interactive technologies, 5G applications, and human behaviour analysis. It has secured funding for three
full-time PhD studentships working on these exciting research areas for three years, opening to all UK/EU applicants
and starting in October 2019. In particular, there are a few areas of interests regarding computational advertising and
intelligent new media that I would like to recruit PhD students.
If you are interested in doing a PhD in the
relevant research areas with me , please feel free to contact me. Loughborough University has a set of established
scholarship schemes, including Loughborough china scholarship council scheme (with the expected internal application
deadline in Jan 2020 and the external application deadline in March 2020) and Loughborough University Great China Scholarships in UK .
The key scholarship schemes are listed as follows.
• PGR loans
• Wellcome Trust
• British Council (Newton fund)
• Commonwealth Scholarships
• Chinese Scholarship Council
• Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF)
• Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) or Tertiary Education Trust (TET)
• Research Councils (CDT, DTP and iCASE awards)
Dr. Naijuan Sun , Associate Professor,
Heilongjiang University, Associate Research Fellow of Marketing Research Centre of
Prof. Minghui Qian , Associate Professor, School of Information Resource Management,
Remin University of China, Director of Marketing Research Centre of
Current Leadership of Teaching at Loughborough University
1. Semester 1, 2019/2020. Postgraduate, MSc Digital Marketing Programme. Strategic Marketing Management, Loughborough University London
2. Semester 1, 2019/2020. Postgraduate, MSc Digital Marketing Programme. Design Practices in Digital Industries, Loughborough University London
3. Semester 2, 2019/2020. Postgraduate, MSc Digital Marketing Programme. Strategy and Planning, Loughborough University London
Previous Teaching Profile
• Digital and Social Media Marketing Strategies (PG), S2, 2017, 18, Brookes
• Digital Marketing Analytics (PG), S2, 2017, 18, Brookes
• Marketing Analytics (UG, Honour Component), S2, 2018, Brookes
• Digital Marketing Communications (UG), S2, 2017, Brookes
• Marketing Research (UG), S1-2, 2013-2016, MQ; S2, 2017, Brookes
• Applied Quantitative Approaches in Business and Economics (MRes/HDR), S1, 2014-2016, MQ
• Retailing (UG), S1-2, 2012-2013, MQ
• Marketing Communication (PG), S1, 2014, MQ
• Consumer Behaviour (UG), S1-2, 2013, MQ
• E-marketing (UG), S1-2, 2012-2013, MQ
• Customer Relationship Management (UG), S1, 2012, MQ
• Strategic Marketing (UG), S2, 2011, UNSW
• Marketing Fundamentals (UG), S1-2, 2009, 2010, 2011, UNSW
• European Journal of Marketing
• Journal of Macromarketing
• Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services
• EMAC conference and EMAC reginal conference
• ANZMAC conference
• Macromarketing conference
External Advisory Board Member
• Marketing Subject Board Member, Lincoln Business School, Lincoln University, 2017-2020
Professional Affiliation and Memberships
• Certified Practicing Marketer of Australian Institute of Marketing (AIM)
• Member of British Management Academy (BAM)
• Member of Academy of Marketing, United Kingdom
• Member of Marketing Research Centre of China (MRCC), China
• Member of Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Community (ANZMAC)
• Member of Australian Market and Social Research Society (AMSRS)
• Member of Korean Academy of Marketing Sciences (KAMS), South Korea